Friday, July 2, 2010

I'm finally getting somewhere!

I love those landmark days where you finally feel like you've had a break through. This one doesn't really feel like something I accomplished, but I was thrilled either way!

Bailey is starting to learn how to give to the contact! I think it's more the lunging in side reins combined with her natural build and ability, but it was still phenomenal! She's learned that when there's contact in her mouth, she just has to stretch her neck down and bring her nose in to relieve the pressure. As soon as she did this, I immediately rewarded her with a slackened inside rein and sent her forward into the contact. There were a few times it was nearly perfect. I've never had a horse with so much power in her hind end. It's a truly incredible feeling, just at the trot! When she moved forward and really stretched her back, her hind end was bouncing me up out of the saddle. Now I have to be careful because she actually clipped her front heel. I assume it's because she's still a little 'butt high' and can't get her shoulder out of the way yet, so I think a pair of bell boots are in order. Thankfully, I have an extra pair lying around somewhere. After about 25 minutes of really great trot work, I let her end on that stellar note.

Other than that, it was a calm day. I had a late night in Gettysburg last night, so I didn't much feel like putting a lot of effort into my work. As if my horses knew this, they were all super and required very little work today. Even Bella felt great and really put her mind into getting in and getting done. She's been so light and forward since she got her feet done. I'm really thrilled that things are going well for her again. My vet warned me about the farrier and said he's not very reliable, but as long as my horse is going better than ever, I can deal with a few quirks. I just hope that's all they are.

Becca rode Patrick again, and as usual, he was super. I don't think you could find a better kid's horse than this little guy. My friend Britteny, who has ridden and jumped him a few times, knows a trainer that may be interested (did I already tell you that? I think I did...). I hope something comes of it, because I know she has a lot of young riders that would really just love him to death. Otherwise, he's going to the July show and hopefully attracting some attention. This means I really need to get going with his jumping when I get back from the beach on the 17th. He may be trotting his courses ;)

I'm also hoping to be heading to Culpeper for two weeks in August. Entries aren't due until the end of July, so I have some time to think about it. I did the calculations, and if I show in three classes a week, it works out to be about $382 a week. That doesn't include a hotel, but I'm thinking I could just put a blow up mattress in the dressing room of my trailer and camp out. I'd only be there three days each week, and it would still beat the week Morgan and I slept in the back of her mom's Tahoe the whole show week...oh, yes. We know how to horse show on a budget. Anyways, I'd be doing the lvl 3 or it's equivalent, which is non-nominated, so I really don't think that's a lot of money for an A show. Hopefully I'll have someone to come with me, at least to act as jump crew, but if not, it'll still be a good experience for Bella either way.

Anyways, Patrick jumps tomorrow. Hopefully all goes well! I'm thinking about throwing a baby liverpool into the mix...could be interesting!

2 comments:

  1. Beth and I used to camp in the back of her dad's suburban when we would horse show in Eagle River, Wisc in the summers! MEMORIES!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, everyone should do it at LEAST once! Did you have to shower in the horse show bathrooms??? Oh man, now THAT was an experience!

    ReplyDelete