Sunday, June 27, 2010

It's one of those days where you just feel goooood

Everyone was so good today. I couldn't be happier. AND, I have pictures:D Yayy!

I took Patrick out into my 'galloping' lane today. Turns out, he quite loves being out of the ring. He was super forward and really stretched and relaxed. We did 4 extended trot laps and 4 working canter laps then considered it a job well done. I think he's going to do a lot more of that. I'd been afraid to take him out there because sometimes he gets a little snotty about adventures, but he was great!

I sat and thought about Bailey for a little while, and I realized that I'm just too excited. I can't wait for her to be fully trained and ready to go, and because of that...I need to back off. It's not that I'm pushing her too hard, but I don't want it to get to that point (and who would!). So today I just put her on a lunge line again in some stretchy side reins and really pushed her forward. She's really flexing her neck now and engaging her hind end (she's tracking up a good extra two inches, where before it was hardly noticeable). However, to the right she steps in a little to the inside, instead of tracking straight, and she doesn't roll her belly into the bend. This is where our issues under saddle are stemming from. BUT, it's improved. So we're going to do a lot of lunging at the trot, a lot of forward movements in the galloping lane, and a little bit of pressure under saddle, and see where we get in a few weeks.

Bella was a totally superstar today. It was one of those days where I couldn't have put a pricetag on her if Bill Gates walked in the doorway. I put the jumps up, nothing was under 3'3" (unless it couldn't go up i.e. the coop line) and the 'big' oxer rode about 3'9". She jumped everything without hesitation, and was even less concerned about the big oxer than when my trainer hiked it up. She hardly put out an effort. I really almost thought she was going to stop she was so nonchalant about it all, but she knew better than me and hopped right over it in super delightful fashion. Here are some pictures:

The one above this is her "I hate coops!" crooked way of attempting to jump it and express her disdain, lol.
Can you tell the above picture was the last jump? She jumped it significantly bigger than the first time we tackled that jump!
She doesn't mind the little coops anymore. Clearly it's okay to jump them straight...

Anyways, we finished up with a vetrolin bath and a nice poultice wrap. I'm so looking forward to having tomorrow off!

3 comments:

  1. Bella looks great - she's using herself well - thanks for the pictures!

    I like the way you're rethinking what you're doing with Bailey - getting those foundational things right is so important for their muscle development and mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work with all of them! Jimmy's much happier outside the ring too, so I do a lot of field and "gallop" work on him (when he's right) to help him relax and lengthen his stride - the regular lines our little horses can add up...combinations can't be added up in though!!! Hehe.

    Bella looks wonderful. and...."when my trainer hiked it up"? Dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls! She definitely felt good, too!

    And yes, those combinations are tricky on little horses! Bella is only 15.3ish, so I can relate!

    And when my trainer was out the ONE time he came out to give me a lesson, that liverpool oxer was up another two holes. Bella actually kicked out over it and cracked her back, which was an awesome feeling! I actually had to have my dad drill more holes in the standards because I want to see how high she can really go!

    ReplyDelete