Thursday, July 1, 2010

I'm falling behind

So I've been keeping busy. I had a nice relaxing afternoon yesterday that was spent with family out on my uncle's boat. Needless to say, the horses had a vacation day. It was great to see them again. They live out in Kentucky, so visits are few and far between.

Anyways, the horses have just been taking it easy these last two riding days. I've been hacking them out in the galloping lane or just lightly schooling them in the ring. I figure, I leave for vacation in a week and a few days. I may as well let them take it easy.

Bailey went out to the galloping lane to work for the first time this afternoon. I was a little leery about it, because she'd never been out alone before, but overall, she was pretty decent. There were a few nervous moments when Patrick kept calling for her, but she didn't do anything unmanageable. I think it actually did her a lot of good. I was able to just plant my hands in her neck with a light contact, and let her move nice and forward at the trot. Eventually, we had a few nice seconds where she would start to relax into the bit and put her head down. I was pleased and ended on that note.

My friend came over and rode Patrick again. I swear, he hates me. He goes so much better for someone who doesn't make him work as hard as I do. She even jumped him around, and he was a little angel. I think she was pretty impressed with him, what with being 4 and all. She's even going to get in touch with a friend who has a few students that might be looking for horses. That would be GREAT! I certainly wouldn't turn down the money at this point in time!

All in all, it's been a pretty mellow week. I started painting some of my jumps (after YEARS of having natural standards and white poles!). As long as color doesn't matter, I highly recommend going to Home Depot and buying their "oops!" paint. You can get a quart for $1.00, (or a gallon for usually about $5.00, but who needs a gallon?) and usually there are some very useable colors. I have found a nice, rich navy blue which I used on two poles and standards, a minty green, a peach/pink color, and a reddish brown that I think will look great on the coops.

Stay tuned for more of Anna's DIY jump making tips:) I seem to find plenty!

3 comments:

  1. The paint idea is great! I can't wait to see pix of your arena full of painted random-colored jumps :P How hipster of you ;-)

    What's Patrick's asking price?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I'm excited to go to Home Depot tomorrow and see what else I can find. I think I'm going to buy swingset plastic covered chain to make stall guards...that's my newest thing, lol.

    Right now I'm asking $6,500 for Patrick, but it'll go up at the end of the month when he goes to his first show (which will hopefully go well!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super reasonable for what a good guy he is!! (Sorry, I always have to remember to come back and check what you reply to comments, I wish it just emailed me! Somehow, I will find a way...)

    ReplyDelete