Saturday, June 26, 2010

I had a cool title for today's update...then I forgot

Sorry this is a little late. I had a big 'ole family reunion yesterday that lasted into the night.

Yesterday was a great 'feel good' day. I was just itching to jump something, so I did Patrick first. He was a royal pain in the butt. He really doesn't want me riding him anymore. He just wants a little kid that won't make him work. I think he wastes more effort evading what I ask him to do, rather than just simply listening. He also wants to be a hunter=/ Unfortunately, I don't think he's terribly well-suited to do anything more than just local stuff, but he seems happier when I'm not fiddling with him like I would with a jumper.

Anyways, Becca (my youngest sister) jumped him around a little bit today. I kept the jumps really little, knowing that he'd never jumped with anyone else and Becca hasn't jumped in a while. He was really well behaved, and she trotted over a few little verticals and oxers. It was pretty cute, and he took good care of her.

Bailey has been a royal pain in the butt as well, but it's really not her fault. She has a very weak hind end, and almost always swaps out behind at the canter. I know it's just because she's learning to switch from the front-heavy 'foal system' to actually carrying herself in a balanced manner, but it makes for an unpleasant ride for the time being. In order to help with her bending issues, I've been doing about 10 minutes of ground work with her before I hop up. This includes neck stretches, side steps (which mimics my leg), and some flexion work at the walk. It's really improved her walk under saddle, which is a beginning that will hopefully lead to bigger and better things!

Yesterday, despite Bella's mini-vacation from hard work, I decided to jump her around. I added two more coops to the ring, another 3'0"er and a 3'6" one. I kept my triple combination, since she's familiar with it and it's a really great exercise for her. I also set a holding 5 stride, a forward 2 stride, and a vertical and oxer with canter poles. I wound up being very pleased with the design, and they gave me a variety of things to work with. Bella is jumping so well, that it's really just a ton of fun to hop on and jump around. She's adjusting her stride perfectly, holding and extending whenever I ask. She's even learning to rock back and really push, instead of relying on speed. I had her jumping around 3'3" and 3'6" yesterday, and I think I might jump her back tomorrow and push the height even more. I'm starting to think she may just be able to handle the smaller low A/O classes, in which case, SCREW MY TRAINER! I'll do it without his help! That's the spirit, right?

Speaking of him, I still haven't heard a peep. I checked the Roanoke website, and he got 3rd in the Welcome Stakes on Thursday. His stupid daughter didn't pin at all, and ashamedly, that makes me feel good. The $50,000 Grand Prix is tonight. I'll check back and let you know how it ends, not that it really matters anymore =/

Sorry, this was a boring update!

3 comments:

  1. Bailey may just need more muscling up - she looks pretty straight in the stifle and hocks, although it's hard to tell from a picture.

    Sounds like you need a new trainer - why put up with this garbage (pardon my bluntness)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate- couldn't agree more! His garbage can be collected by someone else!

    Great work with Bella!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, that's exactly what she needs. I'm thinking some work outside of the ring will do a world of good!

    And you're both right. I need to suck it up and move on!

    ReplyDelete