Wednesday, July 7, 2010

102 degrees...two days in a row

Yesterday was the first day of the year that tipped into the triple digits. By the time I had had breakfast and coffee, it was 11 in the morning.  I had already gone out to clean up the stalls and get them ready, figuring the horses would be inside for most of the afternoon once I rode. However, when my mom walked in the room and said it was 94 degrees by 11am, I swiftly changed out of breeches and said 'to hell' with riding. I brought all of the horses inside and opened their dutch doors. Their fans were promptly set to 'high', and I even watered down the aisle to keep things as cool as possible. They were already lathered in sweat from just standing around.

Today I was slightly more prepared for this stagnant heat. I stayed the night at a horsey friend's place, and since she had to be at work by 6am, I was up and moving at the same time. I drove home, fed at 7, and was out tacking up my first ride by 8am, trying to beat the worst of the heat. However, it was already 90 degrees out!

Needless to say, Bella was super sluggish and not terribly motivated, which is a little unusual for her, but I certainly didn't blame her. She loosened up a little bit as we worked, and I did a lot of collected sitting trot with no stirrups. She felt really great, and I finished up as quickly, yet as efficiently, as I possibly could. She about passed out on the aisle while I untacked her, and as fit as she is, she was sweaty.

I gave Patrick a good hearty flat as well, since it's been a while since I've genuinely worked him. These days it seems everyone else rides him except me! He definitely needs me on him though, as I learned today. He's starting to get a little heavy and obstinate in his mouth, so I spent a lot of time bending and really working his mouth trying to get him to soften. By the time we were done, he was moving great and we were both sweaty and tired.

Chug a bottle of water, tack up Bailey. Whew!

I spent more time just flexing her at the walk. We did a few walk/halt transitions, not moving until she stopped fighting the contact. She's really learning that the bit doesn't give in, she has to, and she really had some nice moments thrown in with her baby fussbudgeting (as I call it). We did a little bit of trot work, for which I received another saddle sore thanks to her wild suspension, but she did eventually settle into it and really did some nice stretch work into the contact. It wasn't in my plan to take any contact in her mouth this soon, but she does it almost naturally. It's unbelievably nice to have a horse built for this kind of work, instead of trying to manipulate their musculature to carry them the way I want. I love my thoroughbreds, but this is a whole different ballpark!

Anyways, I finished by 11am, and it was already pushing the mid-90's. Yuck. I'm so thankful to be reclining in my bed typing this!

In other news, I finally heard from my trainer. He claims that I was the one who disappeared. I'm not sure if it was a genuine misunderstanding (I have my serious doubts), or if it's another brainwashing technique, but either way I just keep telling myself, "I will NOT burn this bridge, no matter HOW angry or betrayed I may feel".

In other other news, my CIT from several years ago, Amanda, agreed to come jump Patrick around for me. Yay! She's a really quiet and patient rider, and a sweet girl. I realized that I may not be moving up in the ranks any time soon, but I have more than enough to offer someone else an opportunity. So I sent her a Fb message, and she thanked me twice and seemed really excited!

Here's a few pictures:)

Tidus balances precariously trying to get a drink, while Ashe waits his turn.
Bailey yawns in the heat. She's the sleepiest little filly I've ever seen.

My cheapy attempt at stall guards. They work for everyone except Scooter and Patrick so far!

Fiesta looks out her dutch door.

Stay cool!

2 comments:

  1. I tried to do that with Doobie - the cheapy stall guard thinking "he's a good guy, he won't escape" and forgot...left him alone for an hour while I was on a trail ride with Jimmy. Came back to him mowing down the hay left in the aisle. Really lucky he didn't get far!!! I am 100% Jimmy would do the same....and then tour the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I've been lucky so far. Scooter busted through it, and Patrick somehow squeezes under. Everyone else has been pretty good, though I have this fear they'll bust out and get into the grain...THAT would be bad!

    ReplyDelete