Monday, June 7, 2010

So, about that horse show...

I wish I could put into words how much I hate local shows. The judges don't have to be certified, so it's pretty ridiculous when it comes time to hand out ribbons. It was...interesting. But alas, I wasn't there for ribbons, I was there to get Bella show mileage to prepare for the jumper classes this summer. And needless to say, we accomplished that.

Naturally, when it came time for my division to start, it clouded over and started thundering. So we did the flat class as quickly as possible (Bella has NO concept of how to ride a flat class...) and started our jumping rounds. There were 9 of us, and as soon as the first girl went in the ring, it started raining and storming full out. Now, the arena is on top of a hill. The tallest thing in the area. Awesome, right? Thankfully, my horses live outside most of the time, so Bella didn't mind the rain or the storming, but she was VERY pumped to be in a new environment and had been very puffed up and jumpy all afternoon. We were the last to go and it was pouring with lightning all around. I looked at the in-gate lady and told her, "We're doing this jumper style." I went in the ring before the previous girl had finished her last jump and started my course. Once Bella lined up with the first fence, I felt her kick into 'jumper gear' and open her stride up, and I just let her. She tore around that little course like a champ! I figured, since the judge didn't like me anyways, I may as well let my horse jump the way she likes to jump. It's not like I actually cared about placing, I just wanted my horse to see some different rings and courses. I hope the judge thought I was being disrespectful. She was very rude. (When it started raining, she looked at the in-gate lady and asked, "Doesn't this thing have a bigger roof, or something?" in reference to the little judge's booth this farm had. Psch. Suck it up.) So I was pleased, and I think we're actually going to do the jumper classes next weekend. She was honest to a fault, and actually excited to be doing her job, so I may as well let her do what she enjoys, instead of fighting with her to go around like an eq. horse.

After our first jumping round, they canceled the rest of the show. So I was home a lot earlier than I thought. Bella was still super keyed up when I tried to give her a Vetrolin rub-down. She was alert and prancey and stupid the whole time. I seriously considered getting back on her and taking her for a gallop in the open field next to my house. Instead, I griped and groaned at her, wrapped her legs, gave her some bute, and threw her in her field to run around like an idiot.

She gets today and tomorrow off, then it's back to preparing for this weekend. The babies get back to a somewhat normal routine tomorrow. Today is 'lounge and do nothing' day for me:D Boy do I love Mondays.

3 comments:

  1. BUM CITY about the horse show!!! But really, Bella as an eq horse? Remember when I did Doobie in Jr Medal Finals?! The judge wrote "fire ball" on the judge's card. LMAO. Some horses should just stick to their jobs, as much as we wish they could wear many hats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just started reading your blog...all the way from the start :) Enjoy it so far!

    That sucks that it started raining at the show! And don't you just hate rude, snotty people?! That judge needs to get a life!

    Anyways, excited to read more!

    ~Ashley @ www.girlplushorse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha Jess I do remember that! I just figured the courses were similar to jumper courses, and the jumper classes at these local shows are a fright to see!

    @Ashely, I'm so glad you enjoy it so far! I just opened your blog up on another tab to start reading, as well!

    ReplyDelete