Thursday, June 10, 2010

Babies are so destructive!

Today, while sweatscraping Patrick off after his rinse, he tore down my dry erase board, tried sweeping the aisle with a push broom, and kinked the hose. He's such a character, but I can't chastise him for it because making harmless mischief is when he gets that happy little glint in his eye. I really love this little horse. I hope he finds a good home with some little girl that will play with him. Yesterday, he pulled the hose out of his water trough and squirted Scooter and Bailey with it. Who wouldn't laugh at that?!

Speaking of Patrick, he's been so phenomenal lately. Absolutely no issues with his leads (which means I finally feel comfortable advertising him as for sale!). He's super stretchy at the trot, and actually starting to understand how to collect and extend. Sometimes, though, I worry that I'm pushing him to be a little too forward. He doesn't have the natural ability to jump big fences, and he's too small for a big adult. I have to remind myself that I don't need a 3'0" jumping horse that flats like a Grand Prix stallion. I need a 3'0" jumping horse that flats for someone capable of maxing out on that height! Eek. It's hard to get myself into that mindset, so occasionally I slop it up a bit, and he actually did settle right into a putzy little trot. So hopefully my fears are unfounded.

Anyways, once again I showed him the trailer. Today he walked right up there, knowing that he was going to get a little lunch inside. I know a lot of people aren't big fans of using bribery as a training technique, but I think when it's applied properly, and with direction and discipline, it's very useful and rewarding. Hell, these days even dietitians say you have to eat that one sweet treat every once in a while or you fall off the wagon! So tomorrow I'm going to load Scoots up with him and take him for a ride around town.

I have nothing to say about Bella. She was amazing. After a three day break, she came back ready to focus. I worked her really good on the flat, starting with a lot of big stretchy trot work. Then I collected her up and did a lot of bending around the jumps, eventually working into a super collected canter, with some lead changes and transitions. Then I interspersed some extended canters into that and finished with a beautiful square halt. Ah, sometimes I just love that mare! I only wish she had the ability to jump bigger fences! Then I'd be in the money!

Poor Bailey still has hives. They started to go away, then came back in full force and haven't started to recede since this afternoon.
 You can see the texture of her coat in the photo. Poor lumpy baby. She seems so unenthusiastic. So I cold hosed her entire body, which she appreciated (while spooking at the noteboard Patrick dislodged previously). I finally caved and called the vet as well. I'm not one to overreact about hives, or usually medicate them. I feel like most horses get so used to dex that after a substantial time on it, everything gives them hives. So he said to try giving her some banamine if they aren't reduced by tonight, and if that doesn't work, I can run out to the office and get something different to try. You know what they say about the best laid plans...So yet again, she had a day off.

Anywho, does anybody know of a good way to market equine products online? My mom makes just about anything you can think of for horses: saddle pads/covers/carry bags, bridle bags, garment bags, trunk covers, polos, wraps, etc. and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get word out to the public. Any ideas?

One of our barn cats, Cloud, making himself comfortable...or maybe not.

2 comments:

  1. Have her start with an Etsy account, or take pix of everything & put them on Flickr - just post the sh*t out of the link everywhere you know. Craigslist, horse forums, yardandgroom, EVERYWHERE.

    If that helps it take off, talk to me. I can build her a stellar website ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I'll do that:D Thanks for the tips! And I'll definitely come to you if it starts producing some $$!

    ReplyDelete