Tuesday, June 22, 2010

I think I almost died

So today was the first day back 'on' after the new farrier.

I had planned to ride all three horses. Planned.

Anywho, I set up trot poles for Bailey and little raised cavaletti/bounces for Patrick to play with.

I rode Patty first, and played with him. The bounces weren't big enough for him to worry about his front end, but I just wanted to get him used to the feel. Overall, he handled it pretty well. He's still a little obnoxious about half-halts and collection, so I guess I'm still headed back to the drawing board on that note.

Today I actually tried to really work on Bailey. I put her back in the chambon, probably the last time for a little bit. I spent some time at the walk today, working on getting her to turn her head and neck without leaning into the turn like a motorcycle. It wasn't entirely successful, but I wasn't frustrated. She's learning, and really trying her hardest.

Then I spent even more time at the trot. She really wants to drop her shoulder and race through the short ends of the arena, so I started pushing a big, extended trot on the long sides, 90 degree walk/turning the corners, slow trotting the short sides, and repeating the following corners and sides in the same pattern. Eventually, she just memorized the procedure and went back to trying to race around the turns. She got it pretty well to the left, her strong side, but she really fought me for the right. I felt like we made a little progress by the end, but she was hot. So I walked her for a few minutes, turning her in tight circles and trying to get her to bend her neck to the right and move off my right leg. She did it perfectly to the left, but again, the right was stiff. I think tomorrow I'm going to do some work 'in hand' with her, teaching her to give in to my aids a little. We'll see if it helps.

By the time I was done with Bailey, I was starting to feel overheated: nauseous, chills, like all the lights were really bright. Yuck.

So, thankfully, I waited to do Bella until last, and decided to just give her another day off to adjust to her feet while I attempt to regain my body temperature.

I think if it's still this sweltering tomorrow, I'll let my sister do Patrick so I can get Bella and Bailey in without keeling over!

Anyways, they all stayed inside today with their fans on high. Time to go stick them back out! Hopefully it's a little less 'balmy'...

No comments:

Post a Comment