Thursday, June 3, 2010

A day spent goofing off

So yesterday turned out to be busier than I'd originally anticipated, hence the 'no blogging'.

My trainer actually showed up! Yay! I had the arena all set for him to teach, and Bella was tacked on the cross-ties ready to go at 10:30 sharp. After a quick warm-up, he pointed us straight to the coop (kind of mean, if you ask me), but Bella handled it like a champ. We popped down the line a few times at it's little 3'0" setting, and then almost immediately he jumped the middle oxer up to 3'6" with a 4'6" spread. Now, mind you, Bella hasn't jumped over 3'3" in two years, and has never jumped an oxer that wide with me on her (my trainer 'accidentally' jumped her over our 6'0" liverpool in Florida a few times...). Thankfully, she was a total trooper and went right down that line. It was actually a really amazing feeling. She really cracked her back and kicked out with her hind end! I've never felt her try so hard, and it was the reason why I keep doing this! She's getting today off, and then we'll prep for Sunday. I have a good feeling!

Patrick was left in his stall, since he had been so bad the day before. I told him, he doesn't get to be put on display until he learns how to behave himself. I don't think he really cared all that much, to be honest.

Bailey, on the other hand, got tacked up and put on her little show in the ring for my trainer. I walked her around on a loose rein for a while, then did a quick w/t/c to show him what she looked like under saddle. He was totally in love with her, which made me feel SO good! He said she has a really suspenseful and powerful hind end, and that she's really relaxed in her shoulders. He also exclaimed, "I thought that she was just broke? She's not a baby!" To which I had to inform him that this was only her fourth time being hacked. She's just that good!

He's afraid I'm going to make her into a hunter ;)

So after all of that, I drove two hours with him to visit his new boarding locale. It's a gorgeous facility owned by an unimaginably wealthy French woman, nestled in the VA countryside. Mountain views and everything! The barn is so beautiful, and she has some really nice looking horses. Her arena, however, is so small, a two stride to a two stride combination barely fits in there. Needless to say, I'll be keeping my horses at home a while longer!

All in all, my trainer said I'm doing a wonderful job keeping my mare up to speed, and that I need to start pointing her at some bigger stuff to get her bravery back up there. Soooooo, here's the best news, he's going to try and start coming out at least once a week to help me school all my horses! Yay for uplifting moments like those!

Of course, now he's in love with Bailey, so I received a text at 6am this morning instructing me to "go feed {his} little mare. She's hungry." Oi vey...I guess I shouldn't complain...especially since my old boss Dave called this morning and said a warmblood training facility down the road from me is looking for a part-time rider to work with their horses:) It's a good day! Now I have to go ride the babies, so hopefully it stays that way!

2 comments:

  1. WOW YAY!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!! Keep us posted on the new barn situation if you get hired to ride there :-D

    Bailey sounds super, I can't wait to see how she develops. Jimmy was the exact same way when I broke him out. He came with an automatic lead change too, one day I took him across the diagonal for kicks when he was learning to canter & just POP, lead change. Highlight of my career, I kid you not. Hahaha!

    I FREAKING LOVE BABIES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah me too! It's so cool when you ask them something totally new like that, and they just go right through the motions. That's when you know you did all the prep work correctly:D

    ReplyDelete