Sunday, May 30, 2010

You know there's a quirk in your training program when...

...your riding horse is terrified of jumps every time they move somewhere new, and your 19 year old retired broodmare keeps jumping out of the field. Talk about strange. I knew I should have bred that silly thing back this season...

And I just realized that there's a handy little button up top that lets you include pictures. I feel really smart (and by that, I mean really dumb).

So today was spent out at the barn, in its entirety. I never anticipated spending 2 and a half hours setting jumps (I mean, I only have 5), but who knew it could be so difficult to get a triple combination straight?? I think that was my own personal form of Hell. Anyways, I wound up with raised cavaletti at 2.20m, a single vertical at 2'6", a triple combination: vertical, oxer, vertical set at 13m in and 13m out, and then the famous coop, all of which I designed for Bella. Then I kept the 2.80m ground poles for Patrick to continue developing over.


As you may be able to tell, I finally got a phone call from the elusive Mr. Trainer last night, and finally received some much appreciated advice:D He claims he's coming to my place Wednesday morning to give me a lesson on Bella and Patrick, and he wants to ride Bailey, who he says is his future Grand Prix horse. I can only hope! I'd be happy if she could make it around the low A/Os! It'll be interesting though. Five Olympic games, but he's never been on a genuine baby. I'll be sure to get video!

So I jumped Bella lightly today, just to introduce her to the new line so on Wednesday we can add some height to the equation. I was a little nervous about the 13 meters. It's meant to be ridden so you jump the first vertical, hold for one stride, build for two, and hit liverpool at the base with impulsion, then balance for the remaining three strides to the last vertical. Here lately, Bella hasn't been doing 'holding' or 'balancing' very well, when it pertains to jumping. She was out of the mix for so long, she just wants to rush and run and get it over with as fast as possible. I've worked really hard about that the last two months, and she's finally relaxing into her old self. She jumped every jump like a pro, and cantered right down the line. I've never had such an honest horse, and it's so rewarding to know that I made her that way.

Patrick, on the other hand, decided it was far too hot and he was worked way too hard yesterday to be cooperative for a second day in a row. I guess that's just how it goes. You can't get brains AND an agreeable attitude all at the same time. He didn't enjoy the left lead today. It took two tries before he gave up arguing and picked up the correct lead. I took him through the ground poles a few times, and they're actually starting to get a little long for him. He's finally engaging his hind end! I think he might be ready for 2.60m, and I'm jumping him for the first time on Wednesday:D I love the look he gets in his eye when he feels like picking a fight. It just screams "I really don't like you right now...". I can't help but laugh every time.
 Bailey has recently decided that the mounting process is absolutely terrifying. This happens occasionally, I've come to realize. They learn new things, and old things become scary again. So I reduced mounting to its simplest form: I now walk in circles around her, dropping the mounting block all the time until she stops jumping and rolling her eyes, then get on her in the stall. So far, so good. Today there was minimal eye rolls. She proceeded to walk, trot, and canter (on cue!) around the arena like a little saint, stopping on a dime whenever I even started to say, "Whoa!". Mind you, this was the second time she's ever been ridden out of the round pen, and only the 6th time all season. I should mention, this filly was the biggest, rudest, most obnoxiously stupid foal I've ever met. She's come a long way!
Now that I've typed too much, I'm going to go sip some iced tea and relax until I return to the barn once again for evening feed. A horsewoman's work is never done, but do we ever really complain? ;)

2 comments:

  1. Jimmy always thought the mounting block was terrifying. Many long afternoons were spend around those life-threatening steps. I just stood up there and held his reins, and let him circle and circle and circle around me until he didn't want to circle around me any more, then I would calmly get on and rub and pet and fuss and make a huge deal about what a wonderful animal he was. He's a VERY emotional horse, so stuff like that just makes him melt and get all gooey like "oh really mom?!? you think so?! oh my gosh oh my gosh i love you too! oh my gosh". It took maybe a few weekends and now he'll stand there all day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bailey is the same! Saying nice things to her makes her melt in your hands. I've basically had to do the same thing, but I have to keep it to her stall. She tolerated it in the round pen for a little while, but then she just started pulling away and running free. One pair of busted reins later, we returned to the confines of our stall, haha. It's funny the things they choose to be afraid of! She'll step ON a tarp and walk all over it, but that mounting block is housing something scary!

    ReplyDelete