Sunday, April 10, 2011

Hopefully this post comes with things to look at...

So yesterday I went to the local (Joe Schmoe) tack store to look for a few things I needed for Culpeper. It's still a week and a half away, but my work schedule is going to keep me from doing anything other than procrastination, so I decided to swing by and grab a few things. Naturally, I walked out spending $253.00, but what one of us hasn't done that? They had the $140.00 Cosequin on sale for $99.00, so I bought the next two years worth of Cosequin and saved $80 in the long run. It made sense. Sort of.

Anyways, their customer service was particularly shotty yesterday. I waited at the cash register for nearly 30 minutes trying to get someone to help me! This is against their norm; usually you can't walk in there without getting hounded. However, it wound up being a rather fruitless shopping trip, aside from my supplement spending spree. They don't carry gag cheek pieces. The only reason I even looked is because they're on backorder at Dover until July, and that doesn't do me any good! Oh the frustration of living in a rural area.

I've decided to try Bella in a gag. I got the softest mouthpiece I could; a rubber snaffle. It's not that she's strong...quite the opposite actually. She has a very soft and willing mouth. However, her balance has always been a little off, and she tends to pass my distances a bit, which gets us into trouble over anything bigger than 1m. I figured I'd give an elevation bit a try, but I don't want leverage. Then she just tucks her nose and gets nervous. Hopefully I'm on the right track, I guess we'll find out IF I ever get cheek pieces for it! Grr...

I went to ride yesterday with the intention of putting Bailey over a few little jumping exercises. I really wanted to see how she'd handle herself since it had been a while since I showed her a jump. So I got there and my arena was still pretty wet. Boo:( But since Bailey doesn't wear shoes yet, I went through with it. I figured the footing would provide her with another challenge. It wasn't dangerous, just sloppy.

To say the least, I am jumping out of my SKIN with excitement over this filly. The first time over it, which I didn't catch on video, she jumped very square and tight. Not exactly a 'green' baby jump, just very nice. By the third and fourth attempts, which I recorded, she was already comfortable and relaxed.

Enjoy, I sure did!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgfeMNkEFKQ

The other horses got the day off (again). I was worried about Bella pulling a shoe, and I didn't want to risk Patrick because we have a show next weekend. Besides, if he's going to be a hunter, I don't want him fit anyways!

So for the rest of the afternoon, I headed out to Pickwick and rode Luna again, hoping for a better ride than before. It would have been the perfect day to get some video or photos of her. She was fantastic! Go figure. I guess all I need to do is get after her a bit, and she raises her standards a bit. By the time we finished our ride, she was almost consistently on the bit and moving forward (and even seeking!) into the contact. Maybe I've actually gotten through to this little mare, finally!

After these photos upload onto to Facebook (we have satellite internet, so you'll get those tomorrow), I'm going to head out and hopefully sit on five horses today. I'll let you know how it goes:)

2 comments: