Saturday, April 16, 2011

And Voila!

This will have to be a brief update; my mom will be here any minute so we can go treat ourselves to a manicure:) Ah the spoils of being a woman...

This week I tried my old Bates on Bella again. It's not a perfect fit, but combined with a back pad, it's better than the Antares I bought for her two summers ago. My position isn't perfect, but it's significantly better than before. It never ceases to amaze me how much we can take for granted in this industry. Sometimes we blame our issues on the bigger picture, but it's the simple things that make all the difference!

When she felt about 75% better, I couldn't help myself and took her down a line I had set up earlier this week. It was a verticle-one stride-wide oxer w/liverpool-two strides-verticle-one stride-wall. I was SO excited to ride it; and I knew seeing the wall for the first time would give me an idea of how brave she was feeling. Not only did she jump right down the line, she jumped straight! No leaning or twisting. Again, I know that it wasn't ALL thanks to the saddle, but I hope I'm on the right track!

Yesterday I had someone come out to look at Patrick. I have to admit, I was a bit worried. He hasn't been on his best behavior lately. So over my lunch break I took him out and jumped him around all the jumps so he'd seen everything; more for my peace of mind than his, because he could have cared less. Low and behold, when they came out and asked me to hop on him, he was an absolute SAINT. I swear, he's trying so hard to get someone to buy him so I don't have to ride him anymore.

It was a husband/wife team looking for a new horse for the wife, but the husband asked to sit on him too. After I took him around for them, the woman hopped on and I could tell from the beginning that it was a disaster waiting to happen. They made it clear that they were pleasure riders (so why they came to try a horse that is 5 and CLEARLY labeled as a show prospect I have no idea) and did not and had not taken 'real' lessons, though I heard mention of a trainer in the picture. The woman kicked poor Patty right off the bat, asking him to walk on. All he did was lift his head and swish his tail. I don't need to kick my horses...he had no idea what she wanted. So again, she walloped him with her leg, and he hesitantly walked forward.

I swear Patrick knows when he has a novice on his back. With me, he's always very forward but from the get-go, he barely moved with this lady. Despite her kicking, clucking, and unstable position, he varied between a slow trot, breaking to a walk when she wobbled, and a relaxed smooth trot when she had her balance back. It was ugly and a bad match to say the least, which was emphasized when she asked him to canter by creeping up his neck into a jockey position and pony-club kicking his ribs in. He did NOTHING. He just kept putzing around at the slowest trot known to mankind, and when her huge kicks knocked her off balance and she teetered on his mouth, he went right down to the walk. Never once did he even try to canter with her, and I swear it's because he knew she wasn't skilled enough to do it. God bless this little horse.

When the husband got on, it was a different story. He was all of about 6 foot 2 on my poor little narrow 15.2 hand horse, and right away Patrick was nervous. His ears were back, he started grinding the bit, and his eyes were clearly unhappy. I sent him a silent plead to be good, and off they went. Immediately, the man's death grip on his sides sent him into a canter, but it was a hoppy nervous canter, not his usual relaxed one. The transition sent the man sprawling backwards, catching himself on Patrick's mouth, but Patty grinned and smiled through it, not breaking stride because I think it would have put the man on the ground. Again, this little horse saved the day. He pissed his way through the walk, trot, and canter both directions, ears back and unhappy. He even jumped a little oxer for the man, nice and flat so as not to disrupt him (and got the flying change on the backside!). I was leaping for joy inside that I had such a wonderful little horse.

The husband dismounted, upset that he was far too large for him, stating that he'd take him right now if he had fit. "He's a lot of fun! What a good boy to put up with my position! I was all over the place!" At least he could admit it! The wife, however, was sour and displeased, and seemed to think that since SHE couldn't get him to canter, I clearly had done something wrong with him. When they left, I kissed that little horse so many times, and threw three handfuls of treats in with his dinner.

Boy, did I pick a winner four and a half years ago! At least now I know that I did a wonderful job with this little fellow. Now it's just a matter of finding his person! (*cough*cough..AMANDA!)

So today will be spent shaving Bella and Bailey's beards...so they don't look like mountain goats at Culpeper, and hopefully finishing Patrick's body clip for the Howard County Opener at McDonough tomorrow. If it comes down to it though, he'll be doing the classes in a trace clip. I'm sure, on this political little circuit, that will guarantee him out of the ribbons, but who cares so long as he puts in a good trip for me. We'll worry about that later.

Anyways, next time you here from me, hopefully I'll have at least a few photos and show results for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment