Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Whew, sorry I took so long!

So Sunday wound up being a long day (by choice) and yesterday was my self-proclaimed 'day off', so I did nothing but chill out.

Anyways, I woke up super early Sunday morning to take Patrick over to the show for his first venture off the farm. He loaded like a doll and stood on the trailer for a while as I put the other horses outside. Then we shipped off 10 minutes down the road to my old barn, who was hosting the show. He came off the trailer super alert and bouncy, but minded his manners for the most part. No rearing or anything of the sort. Granted, I trailered him over with everything but his bridle on. So we hand-walked for a few minutes as he took in all the sights, but then I hopped up on him because I feel safer up there than I do on the ground, in most cases. He stood super for me to get a leg up (and he's never had one of those before). I walked around for a little while, and then ventured toward the rings.

The only time he really questioned my authority was when we had to cross between these two big boulders that were on each side of the pathway leading to the rings. He walked backwards rather swiftly, but then followed this tiny grey pony through. He didn't mind any of the tents, or the 20 ponies galloping around and jumping. There were a few times he would spook if they jumped right next to him, or cantered at him from the other direction, but it was mostly just a step sideways, and nothing scary or unmanageable.

Getting him to settle into a working frame was an entirely different story. I think we trotted for about 45 minutes nonstop in the sweltering heat, alternating between a collected sitting trot and an extended posting trot. Eventually he just got so hot and tired that I was able to really get his attention back and do some legit work. He finished up like a little super star, cantering around the ring like a champ. A girl that knew him as a baby seemed pretty impressed with how far he's come, so that made me happy:D Then we cooled out in the hunter ring, with all the fancy jumps. I was a little nervous that it was going to be total stimulus overload, but he walked around on a loose rein, as calm and placid as the Patrick I know and love.

I'm not sure if he'll be ready to show by their July show, but they keep their jumper jumps pretty low-key, so I might be able to take him in the classes that I did Bella in on Saturday. They have a 2'0" division, but I don't think I can reduce myself to such tiny jumps :( That's hardly anything for him to even think about, let alone jump over.

Anyways, here are some pictures of Bella from Saturday. Take note on the entirely NOT 3'0" fences!

And Patrick, on the second trailer ride of his life, headed to the showgrounds:D
Off to ride the babies while Bella has another day off:D

3 comments:

  1. Glad Patrick did so well - it's great that you're getting him out and around. The jumping looks fun although not too much of a challenge for you two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Bella look wonderful! Sounds like Patrick is coming right along too. From experience, I have to tell you, jumping your green horse in a ring full of all new jumps for the first time will be much less stressful on everyone if you go as low as you can. I know it's an ego-kill to move down to the 2' jumpers, but on a baby, no one will look down at you. At the end of the day it's about giving him a positive experience. I did JC in baby greens or something insignificantly tiny the first time I showed him & it was such a positive experience, now he walks into any arena with ANY jumps and packs around. Just my 2 cents tho :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kate:D

    And Jess, I know you're probably right. I say that now, and I know when it really comes down to it, I'll probably stick him in the 2'0". With my luck, in July the jumps will actually be set to 3'0", and that really wouldn't be good!

    ReplyDelete